This series of classes is aimed at advanced-intermediate students. Those interested in participating should know how to tie single- and double-column ties, forward vs. reverse tension, common hitches & frictions (half hitch, Munter hitch, X-friction, L-friction, & half moon friction), lock-offs/how to burn rope, and solid/structural upper- and lower-body harnesses (at least one chest harness and one hip harness).
In this 5-part series, we will teach you skills and harnesses needed to grow from a rope bondage intermediate student into a beginner rigger, culminating in how to use these skills and harnesses in partial and full suspensions. The series consists of five classes:
- Harnesses Review and Preparation This class is dedicated to reviewing the harnesses learned during the Intermediate Series, with special attention paid to the chest and hip harnesses. We will also discuss safe suspension hard point options. The group leaders will evaluate your suspension kits. If there is enough time, we will review the other harnesses as well, including the Dragonback, Mermaid, Arms-In-Front, and Calf-Binder harnesses.
- Rope 301: Upline P0rn. In this class, we will learn several variations of hangers (how we attach an upline to a harness) and ways to build safe uplines. Bottoms will get the opportunity to see what safe hangers and uplines look like, allowing them to advocate for their own safety in suspensions. Humans will not be suspended in this class.
- Rope 302: Playful Partials. Here we will get to practice harnesses and uplines by creating fun partial suspensions (one or more body parts suspended while you maintain contact with the floor). Riggers will get to practice uplines on their partners, while the bottoms will start to get a feel for how suspension will affect their bodies, therefore building body awareness (a very important rope bottoming skill).
- Rope 303: Predicaments. In this class, we will learn some fun predicaments, which are partials that force the bottom to choose/alternate between two or more unpleasant or challenging positions. This will allow riggers to practice uplines in more stressful or "urgent" scenarios while still keeping their partners partially on the floor. Bottoms will get to practice active bottoming and body awareness skills.
- Suspension 101: Intro to Suspension and Suspension 102: Basic Static Positions. In this last class, we will put all of the skills we've learned to use in our first full suspensions. We'll discuss different ways to get our partners off the ground. If time allows, we will explore some different static positions. This will give riggers and bottoms the opportunity to explore suspension in a supervised environment.
Students should bring with them a full suspension kit. This should consist of at least six 8-meter/30-foot lengths, two 4-meter/15-foot lengths, two 8-meter/30-foot uplines (we recommend POSH or similar synthetic material), a suspension ring or rigging plate, a climbing strap, at least two rated carabiners, and an emergency cutting tool. If you need recommendations on what to get, please contact Cait (firstname.lastname@example.org or @ropespaced on FetLife).
Tickets are $75/pair for all 5 classes. If you want to avoid paying the processing fees charged by Forbidden Tickets, please select the "free" ticket and indicate in the comments section which payment method you'd like to use. We accept cash, checks, debit/credit cards, Venmo (@ropespaced), PayPal (@ropespaced), or Cashapp ($ropespaced).
We are limiting attendance to 4 tying pairs. We strongly recommend that you bring a partner to practice on, as not everything we teach will be self-tie-friendly.
Each class is 2 hours long and does not include time to practice after class. Each class is scheduled 2 weeks apart to give you time to practice your new skills at home.
Some other notes for the group:
- Please review our group rules. You can also print and sign our Liability Waiver and Code of Conduct Agreement from the same page on our website. If you don't, we'll have you sign them when you check in. If you have signed these previously within the past year, you do not need to sign new ones!
- Bring a blanket or yoga mat to sit or tie on, if desired, as well as water, rope, and safety shears. There are a few chairs. We will have loaner rope available to borrow if you don't own any.
- Dress comfortably in clothing that isn't too loose or flowy and still permits a full range of motion (many people wear workout clothing). Try to avoid slippery fabrics/materials. Vanilla to the door, no nudity inside; genitals must be covered.
- All attendees are required to be vaccinated against COVID, and WE WILL CHECK YOUR ID AND PROOF OF VACCINATION AT THE DOOR. If you can't be vaccinated for legitimate reasons, please reach out to us beforehand. If you'd like, you can send photos of your ID and vax card to Cait at email@example.com. If we have checked these previously, we do not need to check them again.
- Please don't attend if you're feeling ill or exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19 (review symptoms here). If you can't attend due to illness, we'll refund your tickets fully.
- You can start arriving after 6:00PM. Please try to arrive early! We will be closing the doors at 6:30; if you arrive after the door is locked, please ring the doorbell. If you know you're going to be late, please text Cait at (207) 558-2930.
- No smoking indoors.
- No weapons allowed on the premises.
- The use of drugs or alcohol is prohibited. If you are suspected to be under the influence, you will be ejected from the class. If a second infraction occurs, you will be ejected from the rest of the series without a refund.
If you have any other questions, please reach out to us! You can also contact @ropespaced (Cait) or @Griffin207 (Jack) on FetLife. Otherwise, we hope to see you there!